What is misogynoir?
Misogynoir is misogyny directed towards black women where race and gender both play roles in bias. It was coined by queer black feminist scholar Moya Bailey, who created the term to address misogyny directed toward black women in American visual and popular culture.
1. If you have a problem with black women being angry about anything, especially being mistreated, and refer to black women as angry black women…
But put your fist in the air at black men rioting, jumping on cars, breaking glass, and being angry when they feel like they are being wronged or mistreated, then you fam perpetuate misogynoir.
2. If the anger of white and non-black women against sexism is seen as justifiable by you, but the anger against racism, sexism, and misogynoir, intraracism and colorism from black women is frowned upon by you, then you my fam perpetuate misogynoir.
3. If you view black women as ghetto hood trash, for wearing weave, wearing colorful hair, for looking and dressing a certain way…
But have no problem with white women wearing pink hair, wigs, purple hair, pinkish red hair, or for dressing or looking a certain way, then you fam, perpetuate misogynoir.
4. If you have no problem with black men who are the same way, like many of these rappers you all love, but refer to black women as ghetto hood rats for the same reason, then you my fam perpetuate misogynoir.
5. If you call black women fake and nasty looking for wearing weave, or for getting plastic surgery…
But call white women who add in weave, dye their hair, get breast implants, or butt job lip enhancements, etc baddies, PAWGS, or hot (for the white dudes) then you my fam perpetuate misogynoir.
6. If you have said at any point in time “They make black women look bad” or for the white folks “Black women are loud and ghetto” when you watch reality t.v. or come across black women you don’t like...
But have no problem with these white boys after sports games riotin, setting stuff on fire and flipping over cars, or white frat boys acting a pure plum fool at parties, actually putting other people’s lives in danger, or these white girls on t.v. doing the same thing, then you my fam perpetuate misogynoir.
7. If you have, at any time in your life, seen a black woman subjected to racism by bashing her skin tone or her appearance like Leslie Jones and Normani, and the first thing that slipped your finger tips or mouth is “They’re just jokes” or “It’s not that serious” ...
But want to be the first one on the podium to tell a black woman venting about cultural appropriation or misogynoir that she experiences daily “she’s being hateful” then you my fam perpetuate misogynoir.
8. If you have bashed black women for speaking AAVE or acting ghetto…
But love the vine videos from non-black women speaking or acting like “Ghetto black women” or have no problem with black men dressing up like black mothers or hood black girls and see it as entertainment, then you my fam perpetuate misogynoir.
9. If you’re a white, black, or non-black person who’ve looked down on black women, for the same reason you like or defend others groups then congratulations fam, you’re a misogynoirist.
10. If you have put black women down for our skin color, features, body and hair, then that’s just pure racism.
Check your misogynoir.
Check your racism/intraracism.